Cambas Winery is one of the oldest wine-making companies in Attica. Its story began back in 1869 when Andreas Cambas established a small brandy-making plant in Rigillis street. This expanded at the beginning of the 20th century with new wine and ouzo production facilities being set up at Kantza in Attica. In 1920 it was the second company in the sector to list on the Athens Stock Exchange.
Acquisition by the Boutari Group
In June 1991 the Boutari Group acquired 67% of the shares in the company Cambas from the then main shareholder, National Bank of Greece, and immediately commenced the task of regenerating the company. In 1997 the Boutari Group sold its holdings in A. Cambas S.A., listed on the Stock Exchange, to a group of investors but retained the wine-making division and its brand names. The wine-making company was renamed “Andreas Cambas Winery S.A.” Since 2000 responsibility for production and trade in Cambas wines has been assumed by J. Boutari & Son Winery S.A.
Cambas products are both well-known and famous abroad. They are exported to 30 countries with particular demand coming from the USA, the UK, Belgium and Germany.